Monday, February 25, 2008

31 Weeks

Here's my latest belly pic, taken on Saturday night. Getting bigger and bigger! Everything is going great. Sherry and Elinn came by for a checkup last Weds. night, since they were already in the area doing another home visit. My b/p was 120/80, weight was up 2 more lbs. since last time (which I think makes 21 lbs. total), and baby's heart rate was in the 140s-150s. I'm still measuring small, as usual, even though I don't feel small. :) My next checkup is supposed to be on March 3, but we'll see . . . Sherry has several clients due around now, so she may be at a birth. Anyway, my next visit will include a finger prick to test my blood sugar and hemoglobin (I think). I haven't ever had sugar problems so I'm not concerned about that. I'm working on collecting birth supplies and already have quite a bit of what I need. It's exciting to think that I probably have less than 10 weeks to go. Hopefully more like 8!

There is still a lot I want to get done before baby arrives, though. I'd like to make a bunch of freezer meals, maybe one each week, so I won't have to cook much for a little while after the birth. I need to get out some newborn clothes, and wash them and find space to store them. And we still need to decide on names! I also hope to do some deep cleaning in the house, but we'll see how that goes. And I need to work on drinking more pregnancy tea or red raspberry leaf tea! I give RRL tea a lot of credit for my 2 quick and easy labors, and am hoping for similar results this time around. :)

I've started having some swelling in my fingers over the past few weeks, and now it's spread to my ankles . . . what fun. I've always had swelling at the end of my pregnancies, but with 2 little ones to keep up with, it is harder to find time to put my feet up. My goal is to drink tons of water, at least 64-96 oz. a day, and hopefully that will help. My sciatica has been pretty bad off and on, but as long as I don't stay sitting or lying in one position for too long, it's manageable. One huge blessing is that the heartburn has eased up! I don't know if the baby changed position or what, but it hasn't been bad at all for the past week or so. And even though the end of pregnancy isn't very comfortable, it's so encouraging to know that the discomforts will disappear when the baby's born. :)

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: I have to say I am more scared of the afterpains than I am of the labor pains. They were horrible after Julia, and I've heard they just keep getting worse with each baby. I'm not against taking painkillers (Advil, etc.) to help, but I'm considering getting some herbal tinctures that are supposed to help also. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other helpful advice to offer in regards to dealing with the pain? Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how close you are getting to the finish line! You look great, as always. :)

I think after #3, I took some Tylenol and used the rice pack (heat) a bit on my abdomen. I also slept a lot. :)

Mary Ann said...

Carrie, you look adorable! Sorry I can't offer you any wisdom regarding your question of the week, but I'll pray that you won't have increasing after pains. Yikes, I didn't even know such a thing existed! Ignorance is bliss, huh ;-)

Carrie said...

Tylanol has been enough with the pain after both my c-sections.
In reguards to the homeschool questions - THe church we are at does have a school and even a free pre-K program that we are looking at putting Caleb in next year. It is only half a day but it will give me some social interaction with kids his age and foundation for a teacher/student relationship. We are not sure what we will do after this first year (our time here is uncertain and it will depend where we are next). Also with the new baby coming in Sept we thought is would be nice for all of us as a family. I will probably start teaching Titus for an hour like I do Caleb - I've kept a notebook with all the activities, poems, and such we have done. My main reason for working with Caleb on this was to give him the attention he desperately wants but in a constructive way (not Mom look at this, play this with me all day) but I read, have a Bible story, learn verses, sing and do crafts with him. I definatly felt this was something the Lord wanted me to do with him and we have both enjoyed it. When I finish the letter a week in 3 weeks we are going to begin a hooked on phonics program someone gave me. Thanks for the encouraging words! When you want some good sites addresses let me know!