Monday, November 07, 2005

Poll of the Week: Stretch Marks

A friend of mine wrote me last week, congratulating me on my pregnancy. Along the way she happened to mention that she never got any stretch marks with either of her 2 pregnancies. Lucky duck! I certainly have plenty. :) I thought it would be fun to do a pregancy-related poll every week (if I can come up with enough topics), so here's the question for this week, for all of you mothers out there: Did you get stretch marks? Do you have any tried and true "remedies" to help to NOT get them, or to reduce their appearance? I've tried the cocoa butter cream, but it never seemed to make much of a difference. Oh well. As another friend told me, they are "battle scars!" :) And I definitely would prefer the stretch marks over C-section scars. Hopefully I'll never have to find out what THAT'S like!

There isn't a lot of pregnancy news to report yet. I'm about 13 weeks along now. So that means the baby is around 3" long or so. I'm still fitting into regular clothes, so far. Still feeling great, aside from the occasional sciatic twinges, and tiredness. I'll be heading into the 2nd trimester soon--yippee!!

2 comments:

Sarah E. said...

Someone told me to rub olive oil on your belly each night. I did this almost every night and didn't get any stretch marks. However, I did have gestational diabetes which meant I had to watch my diet and didn't gain a whole lot of weight. That may have had something to do with it as well.
www.sarahellsworth.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

My mom said that Vitamin E ointment might help, but that stretch marks depends more on genetics, since the texture of your skin is what does it (the softer/finer your skin gets with hormonal surges, the more stretch marks, I guess). She says at least hers match my dad's :) He grew really fast as a kid and has them on his legs/thighs.