Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Hearing the Heartbeat

I had my 15 week appointment with my midwife yesterday. Jim and I left Sam with my mom and headed off by ourselves, which was nice. We even went out for dinner afterwards, but I'll write more about that on my other blog. Anyway . . . Sherry checked all the usual stuff: blood pressure, pulse, etc., and then we got to the fun part, listening for the baby's heartbeat with the Doppler. I'm so glad that she has a Doppler, as I've heard some midwives use something called a fetoscope instead, which is harder for the average person (aka the parents!) to hear the heartbeat on. After moving the thingy around for a few minutes, she finally found the baby . . . way down low, so far. But with a nice, steady heartbeat! What a lovely sound. :)
Hearing that always helps the pregnancy seem much more real to me.

We visited with Sherry for a while longer, and it's nice to realize that every time, I get even more comfortable with her. I was commenting to Jim on the way home, how nice it is to build a relationship with just one midwife rather than meeting a whole bunch of them and not really getting to "connect" with any of them. As time goes by, I'm looking forward more and more to having a homebirth!

In other news . . . we received sad news this weekend, that my sister lost her baby at 11+ weeks. That put a damper on my own joy of hearing our baby's heartbeat, knowing that they won't get that privilege in a few more weeks, as they hoped. I am so sad for both of them; they were so excited and happy about this baby, but I know God will help them through this difficult time. I will sure miss being able to compare pregnancy notes with her! But maybe we will have the opportunity to go through pregnancy at the same time, one day in the future.

THIS WEEK'S POLL:
Another embarrassing one, so if you don't want to answer, that's OK! :) How did you other moms do with weight gain during your pregnancies? With Sam, I gained about 30-35 lbs., which was more than I had hoped. So far with this pregnancy, I've gained between 4-6 lbs., depending whose scale you go by. :) I don't think that's too bad for the first trimester. Hopefully I can just gain slow and steady and keep the total around 25 lbs. or so; we will see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1st time : 38 pounds
2nd time : 38 pounds
3rd time : 33 pounds
The 3rd time round I kept a very close eye on the loss afterwards and so far have lost around 38 pounds. Adding on what I gained from before Number 1...only about 20 - 25 to go!!!

Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing!

Joanne--good job on the weight loss; I know you can get to where your goal is! I still had 10 lbs. I wanted to lose to get back to where I was before my first pregnancy, but it's too late for that now . . . but hopefully I won't put on too many extra lbs. this time around. :)

Mindee--I remember you telling me that pregnancy could be my excuse to eat as many M&Ms as I wanted . . . :) I don't think I ate as many as you, though--but Sam is definitely part junk food of various types! :) Gotta love some of those OBs, huh? I'm glad I went with midwives from the start . . . although I'm sure there are some with wacky notions just like some OBs. :) Thankfully I haven't met any yet, though!