Monday, October 27, 2014

37 Weeks!!!

Sorry for the wonky angle of this pic!  Julia was my photographer and she got creative. ;)  But out of the three pics she took, I liked this one the best, so I will use it.

As of yesterday, I am now officially past the 37 week mark, and very happy to be here!  This means I can now have a homebirth legally, so it's always a relief to reach this milestone.  Anytime Baby wants to come now is fine with me. :)  I'm still not super uncomfortable most of the time, just moving slower and starting to waddle more.  I've been having a bit more swelling over the past few days, mostly in my ankles and feet, so I am trying to guzzle lots of water and pregnancy tea to help with that, and today I stayed home from church to keep my feet up.  I had to do that toward the end of my last two pregnancies as well, and although I don't like missing church, I know I need to take care of myself and Baby, too, which sometimes means taking the time to rest.  Soon enough, Baby will be here and we will be finding our new normal, and eventually getting back into the swing of regular life again!

This past Tuesday, Sherry and the other midwife who will be assisting came over for our home visit. I was happy that my b/p was back down (no surprise since I am always more relaxed at home); it was 119/76.  The previous week it had been higher, but I can't remember exactly what it was.  Nothing super bad, just something to keep an eye on.  I might have already blogged about that.  Baby's heart rate was in the 120s-130s.  Baby is still in the LOA position (best position for birth), so I am happy about that!  We had blown up the birth pool that I'm hoping to use, so I showed them that and we discussed my hopes for the birth a little bit.  Basically I just have instructions to call as SOON as I think something is happening, since my last 2 labors were only about 2 hours each. :)  So far I haven't really seen any signs of impending labor, but things started very fast without a whole lot of warning when I had Josiah, so I know that could happen again.  Or this one might be totally different!  (But I still hope it is fairly fast. :))  My next appt. will be this coming Thursday, unless Baby arrives before then.

I wrote the above paragraphs yesterday, then Jim and the kids got home from church and I got busy with supper and family time, and didn't get back to this post till now.  It is so hard to find uninterrupted time to write these days!  Today (Monday) I am up early with more energy than I've had in a while.  I hope that is a sign that Baby might come sooner than later. :)  We will see, though!

Last week we took a quick trip to a larger town and I bought some flannel at Joann's.  My plan was/is to make some gender-neutral burp cloths . . . I have lots of boyish and girlish flannel, but wanted something that would work for either.  Anyway, I found two cute prints--one seems a little more boyish but I loved it, so I decided to use it anyway. :)  And then I got thinking about how much fabric I had (a yard of each) and realized I could do more than just burp cloths . . . so I made a Boppy cover. :)  I love it!
I didn't even use the Boppy much with the last two kids, for nursing anyway, but since I'm way out of practice with that, I'm thinking I may need it again this time around.  Plus it's a nice place to prop a baby when my arms need a break, or for a picture . . . and it was due for a fresh new look. :)  I found tutorials for making covers on Pinterest and kinda winged it using those as a guideline.  Next time I would give myself a little more seam allowance so it didn't fit quite so tight, but I didn't want it to be too loose, so overall I'm happy with it.

I was thinking it's about time for people to post their guesses for when Baby will arrive, and what the gender/weight/etc. will be!  For reference, Sam was born at 37 weeks on the dot and weighed 5 lb. 14 oz.  Julia arrived at 37.5 weeks and weighted 6.5 lbs, and Josiah was 39+ weeks (almost to my due date, but my dates were a bit iffy with him so I'm not really sure if my due date was accurate) and weighed 7 lb. 4 oz.  I can't remember the length of any of them and am too lazy to go look it up, but you can take a guess on that too, if you want. :)  My "official" due date is November 15, and my dates are pretty certain this time, so you can keep that in mind when you're guessing.

Hopefully I will have another update to post by next weekend, whether it's a 38 week update or baby news!

7 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

You're so cute!! I've been thinking about you this morning, and happy to see your posts in my inbox.

As for guesses, my guess is a petite little baby girl. I can't believe the time is nearly here! What a speedy year it has been!

Kathleen :-) said...

Glad you were able to stay home and rest yesterday! We were home too...sick! :( Anyway...here's my guesses! :-) Of course I have to go with Nov. 15th, not because it is your due date, but because of how all your other Family member's align with Birthday's from this Family! John is of course convinced that it will be born this day, and would of course be totally tickled if he or she is born on the 15th!!! :-) My guess for weight is 7 lbs. even, and I think a Baby Girl!!!! :-) It will be fun to see exactly what happens! No matter what we will be so excited and happy for all of you!!!! Take Care!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Such a FUN post Carrie! :) I am going to guess that you will have your baby on November 7th. :) Our Hosea turns 14 on the 15th. So that would be a neat day to have your baby on. I think you will go early though. Anyway, I think you will have a boy and he will weigh 7 lbs. 20 1/4 inches. I am really terrible at guessing games. LOVE your Boppy cover. Your sewing is amazing! That was such a cute print! We love our Boppy's.

Carrie said...

So fun to read the comments and the guesses! :) I will be so interested to see who comes closest!!

Mrs. S--I love the idea of a petite baby girl!! :) My mom is hoping for a red-haired girl...we will see. :) I was thinking "girl" from the start, but now I'm not so sure...I kinda feel like a boy is more likely, but you never know!

Kathleen--even though I hope not to make it to Nov. 15, I was thinking how cool it would be if I had him/her then--since you had your first of 4 on MY birthday, it would be neat if I had my 4th of 4 on John's birthday! It would be so funny if it actually happened :)

Nikki--so glad you enjoyed the post. :) I have been personally guessing sometime around Nov. 6/7 too, but we will see what happens! I'd really love an October baby (just b/c I LOVE the month of October), but whenever he or she arrives will be fine. I do feel like I'll go early, but it may be just wishful thinking on my part. :)

I really loved the fabric print too, and the best part was that the flannel was on sale at Joann's for under $3/yd. :) So the whole cover cost less than $5 to make. I love being able to make stuff like that myself for a fraction of the price compared to store-bought!

1HappyWife said...

I am not a good guesser...usually way off :)..but it us fun anyway. Either Nov.1st or 11th (though when you said you had extra energy I thought mabye today :)). Our Nick will be 19 on the 11th. I am going to go with boy because I don't know anyone who is having a girl ...my midwife hasn't delivered a girl since May. I'll go with 8 pounds to keep up your pattern of 5,6,7,...8(?). I love your new bobby cover! I use mine all the time :). Can't wait to hear your little one us here! Though I will miss your pregnancy updates because they are so much gun to read. You still look small :) but I was sooo big! If baby comes on Thursday ours would be exactly 3 weeks apart. Better end midnight comes fast and then Jeremiah goes on another eating spree :). Praying for you and baby!

Carrie said...

Joey, there does seem to be a trend toward boys lately! I have one other friend besides you who had one earlier this month, then I have 2 more friends who are due within a day or two of me, and 1 is having a boy and 1 a girl. Very interesting how your midwife hasn't delivered any girls in months! I'm so curious to see who our little person is. :)

Thanks for the prayers!!! So exciting to think our little one will be here SOON!

Mrs.T said...

My "wishful thinking" guess is a girl, 7 lbs. 5 oz., Nov. 6 (since that's the full moon). Realistically, I realize it's probably likely to be a boy, but I am still hoping for a girl. Another granddaughter would be so nice!