Wednesday, April 09, 2008

36/37 Weeks

Sorry it has been a while between updates! Things have been busy and I just haven’t had as much blogging time as I would like.

Anyway, here I am at 37 weeks. I feel that I have officially started to look like a whale. :) This is the maternity jumper that I started while pregnant with Julia, and finally finished a few weeks ago. I’m not as happy with it as I’d hoped, but I decided to wear it to church Sunday so I would at least get a tiny bit of use out of it before packing it away.

My last two appts. (on the past 2 Mondays) have been good. At my 36 week visit, my b/p was up a bit, at 120/85. Not a really scary number, but higher than I’d like. (For those who don’t know, my b/p has a history of jumping at the end of pregnancy.) At my 37 week visit, it was back down to 120/82. Yay! At 36 weeks, baby’s heart rate was all over the place, and at 37 weeks, it was in the 130s-140s, nice and strong. At 36 weeks, I was still measuring small--around 32 cm. At 37 weeks, that had changed dramatically and I was measuring 38 cm! As I recall, a similar thing happened with Julia. Either baby had a major growth spurt, or just changed position enough to give me the extra 6 cm. :) I’ve gained 30 lbs. total, which is pretty normal by this point in my pregnancies. Baby is in a great position, definitely head down and putting more pressure on my pelvis all the time. :) All in all, everything looks great and I’m gearing up for the birth--hopefully not too much longer to wait before we get to meet this little one!!

We’ve been nesting like crazy around here. Even Jim is getting into the act. He has gotten up on his big ladder and vacuumed/dusted the ceiling fans for me, scrubbed the tub, and rearranged all kinds of furniture. All the newborn clothes are washed and put away, the birth supplies are ready, and I’ve ordered my new nursing bras and Lana wool nursing pads (which I’m really excited to try!). And I’ve been drinking huge amounts of pregnancy tea. :)

A couple neat blessings: I’ve been wanting to try a pouch style sling for the new baby. My sister called last week and offered to let me try the one she used for her first baby, as she had just been given a new one by some friends. I’m so excited, because this way I can give it a try and find out if I like it, without spending any money to do so! Thanks Jo, for your generosity!!

Another thing that was on my “wish list” was a nursing cover from Peekaboo Baby. Not a necessity, but I really liked the look of them and thought they might work better than a blanket. However, I wasn’t sure that I wanted to spend $30+ on one. I thought I had seen some free instructions online somewhere for making your own, so I went searching to see if I could find them again. Sure enough, I came up with this link.
Now I just need to find some cute fabric and I can make my own, at a fraction of the cost! As if I needed another sewing project, right? :) Still, I am looking forward to trying it. If it turns out nicely, I could make more in the future for gifts for new moms.

I’m having trouble coming up with a good question for this week. Any ideas? For anyone who hasn’t placed a guess as to the birth date and stats on my 34/35 week post, feel free to do so--or you can make your guess on this post instead. Hopefully sometime within the next few weeks I’ll be posting a birth announcement here! I’m so looking forward to that!! :) Hope you are all having a great week!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

A whale??? I don't think so!! Your belly looks smaller than mine does and I'm 32-1/2 weeks! I suppose that it's all in the perspective. When you are the one carrying the baby, you can't help but feel gigantic:). You look great though - definitely not big at all.

I'm going to have to look into the pregnancy tea. Is it Raspberry Leaf or something like that? I need to educate myself:).

Congrats on having a lower blood pressure number and on all of the blessings that have come your way. God is so good!

I am praying and will continue to pray for you:).

Elisha said...

I'm glad to hear that you and the baby are both doing fine.

That's great about the sling. I just bought a ring sling pattern and the rings for it off of e-bay. It looks really easy to make and much cheaper than the $50+ that they sell for. Good luck with the nursing cover.

A quick question, is the pregnancy tea you're drinking just Red Raspberry leaf or a mix? My pastor's wife just recommended one to me from bulkherbstore.com and it is a mix of a few different herbs. I was just wondering if it's the same one how you like it.

Carrie said...

Rachel, thanks for the sweet comments; I'm glad to know I don't look as big (to others) as I feel! :)

Elisha, let me know how the ring sling turns out! I had tried one that was passed on to me, with both kids, but couldn't get it to work well (probably just me, because I know a lot of pepole love them), so I'm hoping the pouch works better.

For both of you on the tea questions--I did get it from bulkherbstore.com. Instead of getting their pre-mixed Mama's Red Raspberry Brew, I ordered red rasp. leaf, alfalfa and nettle in bulk. I didn't want the peppermint because it seems to aggravate my heartburn (although I've heard it actually helps some people's heartburn!). Then I just used their proportions from the website (leaving out the peppermint of course) to mix my own tea. I posted about it a while back on my regular blog--I think it was in March--if you want to see how I did it. I made "teabags" out of coffee filters and string (but you could also use a tea ball) and I brew up 3 qts. at a time, add a half cup of sugar and 4 T. of lemon juice, and refrigerate for iced tea. It turns out very yummy! Best of all, it is a lot cheaper than buying the boxes of pregnancy tea or RRL tea. Hope this helps--let me know if you have any more questions!

Anonymous said...

You look great! Nothing like a whale, I assure you. :) I'm happy to hear your bp has been better so far. I am getting really excited about hearing an announcement any time now. How does Sam feel about the new coming baby? Has he expressed his desire for a brother or sister or is he indifferent? Take care!

Mary Ann said...

Carrie - I'm glad you're doing so well! I'll pray that your b.p. stays down & you do NOT look like a whale. Of course, you're petite so adding 30 pounds (even if it is all baby) must make you feel a lot different. But you look great. I wish I could offer an intelligent guess about when the baby will come...here we go - I'm gonna say April 18th just because it's my niece's b-day ;-)

Rachel said...

I just noticed that you have appx. 48 hours to have this baby if my guess is going to "win". No pressure though - ha, ha :).

Have a great day!