Monday, November 12, 2007

16-ish weeks :)

Not a whole lot of news to report, but I just wanted to post something! I've officially said good-bye to all my pants and jeans with button waistbands. They were starting to get really annoying. Jim graciously said I could buy some new pants for this "transition" time--actually, I'm hoping the ones I got may last me for the duration of the pregnancy. I got a couple pairs of comfy black pants with elastic waistbands (I have to exchange one because I got the wrong size, though), and another pair of khaki pants with an elastic/drawstring waist. I had been admiring some that my sister was wearing when she was here, and she said she found them at Target for about $20. I checked Target and was thrilled to find them on sale for about $14!! Hip hip hooray! :) So now I should be all set for a while. I'm not quite ready to get into maternity clothes yet, but it won't be long before I'll need to start wearing some of them--especially shirts.

I checked my weight today and so far I've still only gained about 2-3 lbs. total. I'm happy about that, because I have definitely not cut back on calories. :) I still haven't felt movement yet, but that doesn't worry me. I never felt Sam or Julia move until 18-20 weeks. Sherry said I may feel this one earlier (because I know what to expect), but then again, I may not.

I normally try to avoid having much caffeine while pregnant, but last night and today I've been guzzling Coke because I have a cold/sore throat, and it feels so good. I think it was a mistake to drink it last night, though. It took forever to get to sleep!

Sherry's assistant called today to let me know about a film they're going to be showing at a local high school. I'm not sure yet if I'll be going, but I checked out the film website and it sounds really interesting. It's called The Business of Being Born. Just for the record, I am NOT anti-hospital (and neither is my midwife). If someone prefers to have their babies in a hospital, fine! I am very thankful that hospitals and modern medical options are there if I should need to use them. But I do think it's sad that in America, birth interventions have become more and more standard, when they aren't truly necessary. I hope that I can see this film sometime, even if it's not this week--it looks like it could be quite an eye-opener.

I realized that I didn't have comment moderation turned on for this blog, which means I didn't notice that I had a couple new comments on my last post. I plan to go turn on that feature now, so I won't miss them anymore. Thanks for all the name suggestions--they were fun to read! I can't think of a new question for this week, but feel free to comment anyway. :) Hopefully I'll have a better update next week after my next appt. (on the 19th). Have a great week, everyone!

6 comments:

Erin said...

It's fun to read your post, because it sounds so much like what I'm going through right now (at 15 weeks, 1 day...yes, I'm counting by the day!:o)

I, too, am having wardrobe problems. I'm not big enough for maternity clothes, but my jeans and some of my skirts just aren't working anymore. I've been wondering if I should buy some "transition" clothes too!

My midwife gave me a great substitute for regular soda, if it's the cold fizziness you're missing. Mix Perrier water with 100% fruit juice in whatever proportion you like. I've been using Welches Raspberry White Grape (from the frozen aisle) and mixing about 2/3 Perrier to 1/2 juice...I love it, it's fizzy, and there's no caffeine or sugar! (Well, except for the natural fruit sugar:o)

Are you going to find out what you're having this time?

Anonymous said...

That movie sounds really interesting from the trailer. I also watched an interview w/Ricki Lake and she made it very clear that she was not anti-hospital, but that she was wanting to educate women that there are other choices available. I wish the insurance companies would get educated! :)

Carrie said...

Erin, I was so glad to hear from you! I was wondering how your pregnancy was going. Are you feeling well? Thanks for the idea about the fizzy drink made w/juice and Perrier water! Sounds super yummy and I will definitely have to try that. Yes, it was the cold fizziness I wanted, for my sore throat. But I hate all the caffeine and high fructose corn syrup in soda, so it would be nice to have an alternative.

I found that Target has a good selection of pants with stretchy waistbands, that aren't maternity. Great transition clothes! I'm thinking they'll work for "under-the-belly" throughout the pregnancy, too.

And no, we don't plan to find out what we're having. I just really enjoy the surprise at the end. :) How about you guys?

Mindee, yes, wouldn't it be nice if the insurance companies would get educated, too? :) A friend and I were thinking about going to see the movie tonight, but decided to wait and watch it sometime after it comes out on DVD. She found out that Netflix is going to have it--so maybe you could also get it through them sometime if you wanted to see it. It's supposed to be released theatrically in early Jan, so hopefully will come out on DVD not too much later. It will be interesting to see what kind of response it gets!

Zan said...

I enjoyed the update. It's so exciting that you are pregnant along with me.

I couldn't view the trailer. I am required to install Quicktime and I'm not going to do that. Everytime I try to install something it gets messed up.

I've never liked Coke, so I don't have the problem with being addicted to Coke. I do love coffee and have just gotten my taste back for it. Usually, it doesn't come back until the day after the baby is born. I have been allowing myself about one small cup a day which my doctor says is fine. That has really helped me get through the day.

I, also, have this craving for apples. Weird.

Erin,

You need to update your blog. I'm so glad you are doing well. I'm 26 weeks along and am having a boy. We also have a name for him: Owen Clark. :-) I don't believe in surprises. ;-) Well, I just like to call them by their name when I am carrying them. During the U/S, it was so obvious that it was a boy to me. I can read them pretty well. LOL!

Tricia said...

I saw the trailer for that movie and would love to see it. I've had all three in the hospitals but would much rather stay at home. Every time I would check in my labor would stop and it would take a while to get back in the groove again. I'm lobbying for the next one to be born at home!

Carrie said...

Tricia, I bet you would love having a homebirth! I was so much more relaxed at home than in the hospital. I also had Julia in the tub, which was wonderful . . . and I hope to have this next one in the water too. Then being able to crawl into my own bed afterwards . . . heavenly! :)