Tuesday, April 11, 2006

35 week update

Here's a photo taken yesterday--getting bigger and bigger!!
I had my 35 week appt. yesterday and all went well. I do have one prayer request--my b/p is up a bit, at 110/86--not a really bad number, but still higher than it has been all along. Please pray that it will stay low and I won't have the hypertension issues in labor like I did with Sam. I had some really bad swelling in my ankles Sunday, as well. After putting my feet up for several hours and drinking plenty of water, the swelling went down and hasn't returned. I'm working specifically on drinking lots, eating more protein and fiber, and trying to rest a little more--which is challenging when I want to clean, clean, clean to get everything ship-shape before baby arrives! I've gained 32 lbs. so far--hoping I don't pack on too many more in the next few weeks, but Sherry says the weight gain is just fine. Baby's heartrate was in the 140s. From what Sherry could tell, the baby hasn't yet dropped, but that's quite normal for a second baby--sometimes they don't drop till you go into labor. I had thought that it might have dropped some, since I was getting a bit more pressure down toward my pelvis, but apparently not.

I don't know if I'll be right about this or not, but I do have the feeling that I won't go full-term with this baby. While a lot of this pregnancy has felt somewhat different than my first, the last few weeks have seemed almost identical to how I felt before Sam was born. It all makes me feel that the baby will be ready early, just like he was. But we'll see!

A friend of mine just had her baby boy last week, and he was born on her due date, but only weighed 5 lb. 12 oz. Looking at him, it was so hard to believe that Sam was that tiny (almost) when he was born--just 2 ounces heavier! He's grown into such a big boy now! He did the cutest thing last week . . . We always have a family Bible time before bedtime, and after that he gives me hugs and kisses, then Jim puts him to bed. One night we asked him if he wanted to hug the baby, so he hugged my tummy, then of his own accord said, "Love you, baby!" That just melted my heart! Now, if only he will still feel as loving when the baby is actually here . . . :)


QUESTION OF THE WEEK: For those of you who have more than one child, how did the older child(ren) adapt to having a new baby around? Did you do anything specific to prepare them for the change of having a new sibling?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
We will be praying that your BP stays down.
Since the time we found out we were expecting all the kids have been excited. They would give me 2 hugs @ night 1 for me and 1 for baby. They talked to my belly all the time. Now that Jonathan is here they won't leave him alone and
are always begging to hold him. Grace says "Jonathan loves me".
We often told her what a Big helper she would be when the baby came.
Take the time to rest, the housework will wait and a healthy full term baby is more important.
What will happen to this blog after your little one gets here? Its been so much fun to read!
Our little guy at 3 wks. is already up to 10lbs. 5oz.
When do you start once a week visits?

Samara said...

I added you to my prayers, Carrie! I hope that the BP goes away or doesn't interfere with the rest of your pregnancy or birth.

Before my younger brothers were born, my mom & dad showed us videos of the birth of me & one of my older brothers (the actual emergence wasn't filmed, but part of the labor & the post-birth baby was) and explained what would happen. We also got to practice holding dolls like a baby would be held (always while sitting), since whenever there was a birth we all wanted to hold the baby :)
When my youngest brother was born I was just a toddler myself and I don't remember ever disliking him; I always called him "my baby" and wanted him to be near me so that I could help hold him.

Carrie said...

Thanks to everyone for the tips! I so enjoyed reading about how your little ones adapted to the new sibling(s).

Mindee, I'm working on playing up the big boy stuff a bit, and I'm really starting to think that he's going to do well and love the baby from the start--especially since it won't be big enough to steal his trains for a while. :)

Zan, your comment about Harry's extra angels and George's generosities was so cute--made me laugh! I can picture Sam being something like George. :)

Joey, I'm definitely taking the time to rest . . . thanks for the encouragement in that area. :) I really don't know what will happen to this blog when the baby comes! I'll definitely post the birth announcement and birth story here; then I may close it up and just post about the kids on my regular blog, or I may keep this one open for kid-related happenings. Any input from anyone on what you'd like me to do? I've definitely had a lot of fun writing about my pregnancy!

Samara, what a sweet story about you and your younger brother! Are you still close now that you're all grown up?