Monday, March 27, 2006

33 Weeks . . . the end is in sight!

I'm thankful to be approaching the 33 week mark in a couple days . . . it makes the time seem really close when I think that I had Sam at 37 weeks! However, I'm kind of hoping for this one to come a little later than that--38-39 weeks sounds good to me. :) Here's a picture of my continually growing belly--taken last week. It's not the best view of my belly, actually, but we'll try to get a better one soon.
Image hosting by Photobucket

I had a checkup today, and all is well with me and baby. My b/p was 110/80, still looking good, as it has been along. Baby's heartrate ranged from 150s down to 130s and then back up to 150s again. And baby's position is still fine, same as last time. We talked a bit about doing the Group B Strep test at 36 weeks--I had the option to decline, but I decided to go ahead and do it. If it happens to be positive (which is possible, but not all that likely) then I have to decide whether or not to do anything with the info. Just because a woman may have the Group B bacteria, doesn't necessarily mean that she will still have it at the time of delivery, or that the baby will be affected by it. There are options such as herbal remedies or getting antibiotics from a doctor to hopefully get rid of the bacteria. Anyway, I just would like to know if I test positive or not and then take it from there. At a regular dr., they automatically test for it at 36 weeks, and I guess it is common to give the mom IV antibiotics during labor if she is positive. I have no idea what my status was with Sam, since the test hadn't even come back yet, since he was born at 37 weeks. They may have given me IV antibiotics and I just didn't know it! We also talked about emergency procedures, such as what to do if the baby arrives before the midwife, etc. We also have a paper that tells all about that, and I'm sure Jim would do a fine job if need be--but I hope he won't have to!

We have started collecting some of the birth supplies, and I plan to have those all ready by 36 weeks at least. A lot of it is stuff I already have on hand. I'm really getting excited about our plans for a homebirth. It's so awesome to have Jim supporting me 100% in this, and I can tell he is looking forward to it, as well. I haven't really written much here yet about homebirthing, since I'm certainly no expert on the subject, and I feel that I after I actually do it, I will be able to write about it with a much more informed perspective. However, I have read up on it some and have talked exensively with several other homebirthers, and everything I've heard has been very positive. Some people don't think homebirthing is safe, but there have been plenty of studies done which show that it is just as safe as giving birth in a hospital, and sometimes more so--as long as a woman is not at high risk for any complications. Of course, things can still go wrong, but they can go wrong just as easily in a hospital. I appreciate Sherry because she is very dedicated to providing great care for mother and baby, and doing everything possible to ensure a safe birth. If any problems arise, she will immediately transfer mother and/or baby to a hospital. So I feel very comfortable, knowing that I most likely will be able to have a good birth experience in my own home, but should the need arise, that there is also a good hospital just 10 minutes away.

In other news . . . both Zan and Joey have had their babies within the past week and a half! Both ladies had baby boys that were 8+ lbs! Congratulations to both of you! I hope you and your families are all doing great.

QUESTION(s) OF THE WEEK: I would love to have any homebirthers share your experiences. I know that I have talked to some of you personally, but please feel free to share any thoughts and memories here for others to enjoy. Most people aren't very familiar with birth experiences outside of a hospital, so I'm sure it would be interesting for others to read!

Secondly, please share anything that helped you get through labor--I know for many women it is the epidural, but I won't have that option!--so I'm looking for relaxation techniques, massage, heat, concentrating on Scripture, etc. I know with my first, I was helped most by Jim breathing right on my face so I could follow along with him . . . I'm counting on that again, but I'm also hoping to try different positions, etc. for comfort. I would love to hear what worked for others!

2 comments:

DSH said...

Delurking to share what helped me get through labor. I had back labor for several hours, and while my husband was wonderful about rubbing and rubbing and rubbing my lower back, his hands started to cramp. We both found a small paint roller very comfortable! Also, I enjoyed having the room as quiet, with very little light.
Good Luck!

Carrie said...

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

Ms. Thinkin' too Much--it's nice to "meet" you; thanks for delurking and sharing about the paint roller! Feel free to comment anytime. :)

Mindee dear, don't worry--not ad nauseum at all. :) I have loved hearing all about your homebirth experience and I love being able to bounce my questions off you, as well!

Zan, it does sound like you would make a good homebirth candidate! Maybe next time you will have an unplanned one--hopefully not, for your sake, though!

As Mindee said, with a homebirth you use disp.bed pads and a mattress protector to help with the mess. This is how my midwife said to make up the bed when I go into labor: make it up as usual (I will put some bed pads underneath the fitted sheet), then over the sheets put a plastic sheet, mattress protector or an old shower curtain--something waterproof, anyway, and more bed pads, I think. I don't have the directions right here in front of me. :) Then put make the bed again on top of everything with the sheets you will use for labor. I went to Walmart and bought some new sheets--I happened to find a whole set of queen size on sale for $13.99 and they also happened to be red--perfect! :) This way I can either a) throw them away if they're too far gone with ickyness, or b) wash them well and save them for my next homebirth.

My midwife was just talking about tears last time and her clients actually have quite a low rate of tears. Usually the tears are minor enough that they don't even have to be stitched, especially as long as the mommy will mostly stay in bed for a few days to allow the tear to start healing itself. I did tear with Sam and had to have several stitches, but I'm hoping for better results this time. :)