Thursday, January 12, 2006

The best things about pregnancy

First of all, I was looking back over my posts and found a comment from my friend Elisha that I hadn't seen before--sorry about that Elisha!!! I just hadn't gone back and scanned the comments for a while. Anyway, thanks for commenting and feel free to visit often! :) Thanks for the recommendation about Old Navy pants, too--I actually just bought my first pair of jeans from there while we were in Ohio, and I really like them for the most part. The only problem is that I had to get a large (to get them to fit everywhere else) but the waistband is a little big still, because of that. So they tend to slide down--I know they're supposed to be low-rise, but I don't like feeling like they're always falling off! Other than that, though, they're very comfy. :)

I keep meaning to share the things I enjoy about being pregnant. Others have already mentioned many of them: knowing there is a precious baby growing inside me is probably the best thing! I love feeling the kicks and wiggles, and also I think it is so fun when the baby gets hiccups! I think I may have felt a few of those already. I love it when Jim is able to feel the movements, as well--seems to bring us closer together in regards to the baby, somehow. And I think it makes the whole thing more real for him, too. I love thinking about this new little one and wondering who he or she is, what his/her personality will be like, etc. As my friend Mindee mentioned, it is also fun to be able to eat all those good things "for the baby." I've been really bad about that over the holidays!!

Things that I'm not as crazy about: feeling tired most of the time, having to go to the bathroom more and more often, aches and pains, heartburn, and (this time around) not being able to jus take a nap whenever I feel like it, because I have another little one to look after! I have mixed feelings about seeing my tummy expand. On the one hand, it is neat to see and special because I know there is a good reason for it. Plus, it is fun to wear my maternity clothes again. On the other hand, I miss my waistline! I am not one of the women who feels beautiful during pregnancy--more just large and clumsy!

So those are some of my pros and cons. In the end, of course, the pregnancy experience is well worth it, in spite of the things I don't like so much. It also makes a fun bond with other moms because I've found that most of us enjoy sharing pregnancy-related tales, as well as birth stories. :)

POLL OF THE WEEK: BABY NAMES
No, I'm not asking you to help me decide on a name, but I'm curious if others have a hard time deciding on names with your hubby? Jim and I seem to have very few names that we both like. He likes very old fashioned names, some of which are ones I like OK, but others which I don't! I'm not all into trendy names, but I like a lot of names that he can't stand. I know we will end up with a good name, but the process seems to take a while. So, share your naming stories! I've heard of some couples that take turns picking out their kids' names, but I would be scared to do that! :)

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences! :) We haven't decided for sure on names yet--Jim has a girl name and boy name that he likes, but I am still unsure about both. We'll probably decide at the last minute like we did with Sam, therefore I imagine our name choices will be kept under wraps till then! Since we won't even know for sure!

I love the name Annika, but your Hannah is definitely a Hannah. :)

I don't worry too much about nicknames, though I know some people work very hard to choose names for their kids that are difficult to shorten. From the start, we figured we would probably call Samuel "Sam." Sometimes kids decide later on that they want to be called by their "real" name, though--like my sister. She was nicknamed Jojo early on, but when she was about 5 or 6 she posted a little note on the church bulletin board stating "I want to be called JOANNA!" LOL!! (Hope she won't mind me sharing that!) Incidentally, she doesn't mind being called Jo or Jojo now, though. :)

I do think about initials, though, trying to come up with ones that don't spell a word or something--I could see how that might be a teasing point for a kid later.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I keep checking to see if you have updated since your last midwife app.
We have 9 weeks to go and really have not given much thought to a name yet. That is a first for us! I don't really think we will have a girl. There are plenty of boys names I like - girls are more difficult. Middle names are easy - the boys have my husband's first name and the girls my middle. -Joey

Anonymous said...

With Ethan we had a girls name picked out but couldn't agree on a boys. I made a long list of names I liked and had put Ethan as a middle name..it was, of course, the only name that Matt liked so we just went with it as his first name and I picked Maddox for his middle name.

For Hailey we had 6 names that we both liked so it took us awhile to narrow it down to one. We finally decided a few weeks before she was born but kept it a secret since it was so close to my due date.

I'm glad you're doing well, feel free to e-mail me anytime lechelleb@gmail.com I also have an AIM account user name lechellebma

Carrie said...

Zan, that's cool that you have family names that you both like! We don't have too many family names that I'm crazy about, although some we may use as middle names, if we have more than 2 kids . . . for Sam, his middle name is James, after my hubby, and if we ever have a girl probably we would use Elisabeth (my middle) for her middle as well. I liked your idea of getting a little leeway with the naming since you are the one pushing him out! :D

Joey, it's nice to "see" you here again! I owe you an email--hopefully soon! I really enjoyed hearing from you a while back, thanks! I love all your kids' names; I'm sure you will come up with another good one. Wow, only 9 weeks left to go, huh? Hope you are feeling well!!

Elisha, thanks for commenting again. :) I enjoyed hearing your naming stories, as well. I love the name Hailey, too, but I think it would sound funny with our last name. Plus, I doubt Jim would go for it. :) I was going through the baby name book this weekend, reading off a bunch of names to him, and he just kept saying "No" or giving me funny looks. :) I think we have a boy's name pretty much decided on, though, and a possible girls' name . . . but we will keep them a secret till the baby arrives. That adds a little more surprise to the whole thing, plus, you won't hear anyone tell you they don't like the name after you've already named the baby! :D